Disclosure: Organic Mommy Today was provided with one or more items listed below. All opinions expressed are 100% my own.
My family has long been a fan of Applegate hot dogs. When it comes to Applegate hot dogs I do not have worry what my kids are eating, beef, water, spices, sea salt and a low fat and sodium content makes Applegate the simple solution for meal time in my house.
I gave my family members a “Weinervention” last weekend and they absolutely loved the Applegate hot dogs we brought over to place on the grill. I love that they offer many delicious recipes and one I really want to try is the Honolulu Dog.
This recipe and many more can be found at http://www.applegate.com/recipes/honolulu-dog
- 1 package Applegate Great Organic Beef Hot Dogs
- Lemon-Garlic Mayo (see recipe below)
- 1 package hot dog buns, toasted
- Pineapple Relish (see recipe below)
- 1 starfruit, thinly sliced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 (8-ounce) cans crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons stoneground mustard
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- Grill hot dogs to desired doneness.
- Spread 1 tablespoon Lemon-Garlic Mayo over each toasted bun.
- Arrange hot dogs in buns and top with a dollop of pineapple relish.
- Garnish with sliced starfruit.
- Combine the mayonnaise, lemon zest, juice, and garlic in a small bowl.
Adapted from the pineapple relish served at Hank’s Haute Dogs on Honolulu, this sweet-tart condiment is a great foil for savory dogs. It also makes an unorthodox—but delicious—topping for pork or shrimp tacos.
Makes about 2 cups
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, then add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8–10 minutes.
- Add the crushed pineapple, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid reduces, about 15 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, mustard, and lime zest and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the lime juice, and cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- When cooled, taste and adjust the seasonings. The relish keeps, tightly covered and refrigerated, for 5 days.
Check out this HILARIOUS video for Applegate “The Cleaner Wiener”:
Applegate wooden cutting board, Chico tote bag and Applegate buttons and stickers!